Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Monday, October 2, 2017

I Crossed Paths With An African Chief

I can't believe it!  It's only two weeks until my two years are done!  Time truly flies when you're having fun.  With these two years drawing at a close, I feel it appropriate to give honor the man who gave me my first real glimpse into Africa.

After a short flight from Utah to Atlanta, Georgia, my fellow servants of God and I boarded the plane that would take us to our new African home.  We were all incredibly excited to begin our missionary service in Johannesburg.  I was no less excited than my brethren, especially when I discovered that sitting directly behind me was a large African man arrayed in fiery orange robes stretching down to his ankles, with a matching kufi hat perched atop his head.  I beheld this peculiar sight, but nonetheless continued to place my suitcase in the overhead compartment.

After a short wait, the plane rumbled onto the runway and quickly increased in speed until its wheels lifted of the ground, taking us towards African skies.  We soon reached a comfortable cruising altitude, the pilot turned of the 'Fasten Seat Belt' sign, and the air hostesses began to cheerfully assist the airline patrons to whatever they were in need of.

These hostesses swept through the isles, dishing out peanuts and drinks as normal until they had passed my row.  As I began to open my package of peanuts, I heard the deep voice of the robed chieftain thunder to the hostess, " I... Want.... Hot Water."  Being the naive boy I was, found it hysterical that the stereotypical African and I had finally crossed paths.  Throughout the seventeen hour flight, this chief entertained me as he continued to proclaim hot water to be his beverage of choice.  I don't think there could have been a better man to give me a proper welcoming to the people of which I would be serving.

Luckily for me, I have matured since then and have grown to love the rich culture found here in Mzansi.  Though this man was quite different from the people of South Africa, I have grown to love the incorporation of these peoples' unique history and culture into their everyday living.  The pride in which they exhibit towards their ancestral lineage is unmatched.

This past week, South Africa celebrated one of my most favorite holidays: Heritage Day!  Heritage Day is a day in which the people of South Africa celebrate and honor their lineage.  Whether they be Xhosa, Zulu, Tswana, Swathi, or Sothu, everyone dresses up in their traditional attire and come together to celebrate where they have come from.  Robes, headdresses, crowns, and various beaded ornaments appeared on every street, lighting them up with color and energy.  I only wish I had been able to take more pictures so I could show what true heritage is.

After this day drew to its close, I had a time to reflect on its likeness in our lives.  We all descend from a mixture of backgrounds.  We all were raised to honor different customs and traditions.  To a degree, we all know of a different world.  But should these differences separate us?  Should we not celebrate these differences?  Can they not unite us?

In the scriptures, Zion is described as those 'of one heart and of one mind. (Moses 7:18)'  Their source of strength was in their unity.  I know that it is achievable in the world we live in.  We, as the people of Earth, may understand God differently and may view the world differently.  But as we put aside the differences, we become united in a greater cause.

Like Moroni in the Book of Mormon, we can stand together as people of different faiths and nationalities and say, "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children" (Alma 46:12).

No comments:

Post a Comment