Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Monday, September 25, 2017

What a Tree Taught Me

Hello one and all!  I hope this week's post finds you happy and healthy.

This is it.  The last month of my mission.  23 months, 699 days, 16,776 hours, and an infinite amount of memories and experiences later, I've been caught completely unaware that my time in South Africa is ticking to its close.

Calls from my fellow missionaries are filled with wishes to finish strong.  Weekly letters from my mission president are saturated with encouragement to finish on a high note.  Emails from family and friends filled with scriptures, general conference talks, and insights to uplift my spirit in my final days as a missionary.  Promptings from the Spirit that guide me in how I can sprint through the tape.  It seems that I have a solid support system to help me in this final home stretch.

But with all the love I've felt, there's an undeniable force pushing the opposite way.  Lucifer is striving by all means to halt or detour this divine work.  Whether it be physical, mental, or spiritual obstacles, my companion and I have witnessed and felt it all.  We hold dear to the promise that 'all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good (D&C 122:7)'.  Though we are at times unsure of what good could be coming from some hardships, we continue to work with all of our heart, might, mind, and strength.

As we've continued to labor in the vineyards of South Africa, we've noticed a distinct change in the landscape as we've entered into a new spring season.  What was various shades of yellow and dead is now transforming into a vibrant green, lush with life.  To see signs of life return to this corner of Africa is a relief and a joy.

Much change has sprung forth in the past month, but the past week has brought to us the most pleasant surprise.  As we've driven to and fro, we've noticed slight pockets of violet striking the skyline.  With every day, the speckled patches of purple have invaded the trees in the streets and mountains, adding to the Rainbow Nation of South Africa a happy glow.

The trees that are responsible for this transformation are called the Jacaranda Tree.  Famous for its purple bloom just before the rainy season, the Jacaranda's limbs slither high into the sky, shooting forth beautiful petals, scorching the African sky with beautiful shades of lavender.  Its beauty is awe-inspiring to any visitor or resident of South Africa. 

As we've witnessed these trees beginning to bloom, I've been reminded of the trials and tribulations I face as a missionary and a child of God.  Too often, in times of spiritual drought, I've often wondered to myself why the rains don't come.  I question whether I should continue shouldering on and if I'll benefit from the hardships.  Then I am reminded that, like a Jacaranda Tree springing forth its beautiful petals, I too will bloom, that if i can endure these trials for a small moment, that the rains will come and supply my soul with living waters.

I promise you that God is aware of you.  He knows you perfectly.  He knows when you are due to bloom.  If you trust in His timing, and are patient in the dry seasons of life, you will begin to bloom amidst your persecutions and will be supplied with the living waters of Christ.

"...Whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." (John 4:14)

Let us bear with patient the afflictions which are placed upon our shoulders.  It was never easy for Christ, and it will never be easy for us.  Life was never meant to be easy.  The time will come that we will look back at our trials and hardships with gratitude for the lessons which we gained from them and for the trust which we cultivated in Christ Jesus.  We can trust in Him, for He is mighty to save.  In the midst of the hardships of life, don't forget that you're beginning to bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment