Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Monday, December 28, 2015

Christmas!

Busy busy week!!  I thought I was going to get away from the craze of the holidays when I came here!

On Tuesday we had New Missionary Orientation for Elder Jorgensen.  It felt a little bit weird going back after only one transfer, but Sister Dunn made sweet rolls so I'm not complaining! 


Our district got hit pretty hard as one of our Elders went home this week.  He was in my group, and a good friend of mine.  I hope that he will figure things out and come back in six months like he says he will.

Zone Meeting on Wednesday!  It took us a good two hours to set our goals for this next year of 2016, but we feel confident that we can accomplish them.  Although I've never really like the concept of new years resolutions, it does give you time to contemplate on what you've accomplished, what you didn't accomplish, and what you wish to improve in the new year.    There's always room for improvement, no matter how awesome you think you are.

Later Wednesday, we had a Christmas party with our flat complex!! There's a lady who plays the organ beautifully, and we did a few duets with my violin throughout the night.  I was surprised to see some of the Afrikaaners crying.  It's probably the only time I ever will.


On Thursday we drove with the Charchenko's to an adjacent town called Parys (pronounced pa-RICE, not Parys) to visit a terminally ill Sister named Bobbi.  Out of all of the amazing things she spoke to us, this is probably  the coolest she said:

The first to apologize is the bravest.
The first to forgive is the strongest.
The first to forget is the happiest.

Sis. Bobbi was one of the first missionaries to serve in Soweto, the world's largest and most dangerous townships.  She's truly a pioneer in the Latter-Day church  in Africa.

Friday: CHRISTMAS!! We drove to Johannesburg to celebrate Christmas with the mission.  We had a big talent show!! I played my violin, the Poly's did the Haka, an African balanced 25 copies of the Book of Mormon on his head, and Pres Dunn did a dance (just to name a few).  We then drove home and Skyped with the family.  I love my family so much!! I can't believe how much they've grown, and it's only been two months!!





I wish I was home with all of you to celebrate the holidays, but rest assured: I am in the place where I need to be and where I want to be!  I may not have been born in Africa, but Africa was born in me.  I love you all, and wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy (and safe) New Year!!


-Elder Benson

No comments:

Post a Comment