Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Monday, November 23, 2015

I'm Jesus

Let me explain.

This week I was on exchanges in Jouberton, a township north of Potch with Elder Khwela.  We visited a potential investigator and started/attempted to teach him the Restoration.  In the middle of the lesson, he starts going off on a tangent on preachers and black people.  Then out of nowhere, in his broken english, he says this:

"Us blacks, we're rotten.  You, Benson... you whites... you're Jesus!!"
....

Feel the marks in my hands and in my side, man.  There ain't any!

There are a lot of awesome quotes that I have from this week that are super awesome!!

The first one is from a prophetess we were teaching/ we were being preached to.  She's a really nice lady that we contacted on the street.  This is what she said:

"If you take upon yourself the name of Christ literally, if you absorb it into your bloodstream and into every cell of your body, you will look at yourself entirely different."

Please don't be as literal as this lady, who had her middle name changed to 'Christ'.  But her words are undeniably true.  Every week, as we all partake of the sacrament, we know the words from the prayer: "That they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember Him and keep His commandments which He hath given them; that they may always have His Spirit to be with them.'  As we take upon us the name of Christ, and are obedient to his commandments and be as Christ was, we are promised the constant companionship of His Spirit, the Holy Ghost.

None of us will ever be as perfect as Christ is.  But as we strive to do all we can to be like Him and partake of the sacrament every Sunday, there will be remarkable experiences in our lives that can only be explained as from the hand of God.

This next one is President Kwaikwai, our branch president, as he was talking to a neighbor's black pug:

"You only like me because we are the same colour."

I just thought it was funny, so I put it in here.

This one is from a Sis. Bobbi.  She's a widow that lives all alone.  She's an Afrikaaner.  She's served as a missionary, a seminary and institute instructor, and a mother.  She's a remarkable women.  She's experiencing major trials in her life at the moment, including children denouncing her and severe medical challenges.  But she never ceases to inspire me.  This is what she said:

"Our church is different from any other church because other churches wish to see God.  Our church is different because we want to believe and follow Him.  We wouldn't be here if we could see Him."

Too many people in Africa and around the world seek for signs to believe, or have to experience trials to believe in God.  We, as Latter-Day Saints, must believe+follow him at all times.  The way we do that: obedience.  It's something that I've gained a testimony of here in SA.

I experienced my first lighting storm!! Utah's are good.  But I haven't been more scared in a lightning storm than when I was teaching during one in a little scrap-metal shack!

A senior couple from Arizona are moving into Potch!! They are the Charchenkos'. I think I know where Elder Asay+Elder Benson are spending Christmas!

A quick lesson in Zulu:

Sawubona - Hello! (I just learned how to spell it right.)
Unjani (unJAni) - How are you?
Hamba (HOmba) - Go

Cheers!

Elder Benson

Vaal River
Sunsets in South Africa are bomb



No comments:

Post a Comment