Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Monday, August 21, 2017

My Prophecy and My Song

Tumelong!  I hope this week's letter finds you happy and healthy.

The great land of Phokeng is lighting up like a wildfire.  The members are continuing to respond well to the social media initiative, and referrals are coming in quickly.  From the small handful of investigators we are currently seeing, they are growing rapidly in their desire to know the truth.  They are truly being taught repentance, and are transforming into true converts.  This little corner of South Africa is a goldmine for the gospel!

I love working with my companion, Elder Brumpton!  He has such a desire to be 100% committed to the work, and is willing to do whatever needs to be done in order to do so.  At the beginning of the transfer, we realized that we have different teaching styles that were difficult to configure, but we've since made leaps and bounds!  We're going to finish this transfer with a lot of momentum.

I totally forgot to bring my camera today!  Eish, I was going to give y'all the inside scoop of the magic happening down here in South Africa.  I guess next will be the great unveiling.

Yesterday we had the great privilege of receiving training from Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson, General Young Women's President.  She's also a member of the Missionary Executive Commite (MEC).  Going into this missionary devotional, I had two questions: 'What more can I do to finish my mission on the best note possible?' and 'What must I do to prepare to return home?'  It was no surprise that I found what I was looking for.

As we first met her, it wasn't difficult to see her love for missionaries, as we had a great time with her and her husband.  All of her comments were so inspiring and uplifting.  She said,"You are blessed to be here when the work is exploding.  There is no other place in the work like South Africa."  She also related to us that, as she was preparing to come to South Africa, she had a conversation with Elder Bednar, who has stewardship over Africa as a whole.  These were his words to her: "I prophesy that when you're about to come home, you'll hear my voice saying 'I don't want to leave.' "

Both of these comments stuck with me, seeing that I am left with eight weeks in my mission.  I have been richly blessed to be here when the work is exploding.  There truly is no other place in the work like South Africa.  Elder Bednar previously declared,"This is the Kirtland Era for the Church in South Africa."  I have been so blessed to work with so many pioneers of the gospel in this great land of South Africa, from members, recent converts, and investigators alike.

I know the prophesy spoken by Elder Bednar is as true for Sister Oscarson as it is for me.  As my mission is coming to a close and as I'm about to depart for home, I'm hearing his voice saying 'I don't want to leave.'  Would I have the opportunity to extend for even a few more months, I would graciously and enthusiastically accept!!  There has never been more joy in my life as I've lost it for the Lord.  As Sis.  Oscarson said,"There will be few times in your life that you will serve the Lord for twenty-four hours a day.  Cherish this time."

I'll end this week's post with the words of the South African National Anthem.  It includes five of the eleven official languages in South Africa (Xhosa, Zulu, Sesotho, Afrikaans, English).  There's power in this prayer, which is probably why I so often find myself singing it in the shower and throughout the day.  "For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads. (D&C 25:12)"

Nkosi sikelel’ iAfrika
Maluphakanyisw’ uphondo lwayo,
Yizwa imithandazo yethu,
Nkosi sikelela, thina lusapho lwayo.

Morena boloka setjhaba sa heso,
O fedise dintwa le matshwenyeho,
O se boloke, O se boloke setjhaba sa heso, Setjhaba sa, South Afrika.

Uit die blou van onse hemel,
Uit die diepte van ons see,
Oor ons ewige gebergtes,
Waar die kranse antwoord gee,

Sounds the call to come together,
And united we shall stand,
Let us live and strive for freedom,
In South Africa our land.

Translation:

God [Lord] bless Africa.
May her glory be lifted high.
Hear our petitions.
God bless us, Your children.

God we ask you to protect our nation.
Intervene and end all conflicts.
Protect us, protect our nation, our nation, South Africa.

Ringing out from our blue heavens,
From our deep seas breaking round,
Over everlasting mountains,
Where the echoing crags resound,

Sounds the call to come together,
And united we shall stand,
Let us live and strive for freedom,
In South Africa our land.

No comments:

Post a Comment