Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Monday, August 14, 2017

Just an Informal Update

The area is doing good, but it's approaching a better future. Elder Brumpton and I are looking forward to strengthening Rustenburg especially. This week we were able to come into contact with a majority of the investigators taught previously by Elders Ebite and Kagimba; all of them are incredibly humble. Besides on an exchange with Elder Mkwizu, we haven't been finding through our own efforts in Phokeng. We plan to condense our teaching in Phokeng only with current investigators on two days of the week, which we will probably achieve by next week.

Member work in this area is beginning to thrive! When I arrived in Rustenburg, many of the members had a casual relationship with the elders. Elder Brumpton told me that 2/3 of the work he and Elder Schnepf achieved together was through visiting members, and that he craved to do more missionary work rather than missionary things. We've since put a big emphasis on social media with the members both in Rustenburg and Phokeng, which is displaying fabulous results! Every family we've initiated with social media has displayed growing interest in becoming better member missionaries. They're not only asking for copies of the Book of Mormon to give away, but are striving to do so effectively (inviting them to read and pray about it, asking for their phone numbers, etc.). Referrals have been slowly building as they learn how to do quality missionary work.

Elder Brumpton and I are taking note of the patterns that we see with every family after we introduce social media. We've scheduled a meeting with the PEC and Relief Society in Rustenburg, where we can discuss how to hasten the work here. There is a lot of potential out here.

In many social media lessons and during sacrament meeting yesterday, I've played the violin. The members love hearing the music and it helps them to feel the Spirit.

I love being out here!  I've passed the 22-month mark this weekend, which is giving me butterflies just thinking that I only have two months left!  I'm planning on arriving home exhausted (both from working hard and from jet lag).

Good news: I found my camera charger!  Photos to come next week!


Love you all!

Elder Benson

No comments:

Post a Comment