Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Monday, June 6, 2016

Repeated Robberies and False Doctrines

Sanibonani everyone!

This week was incredible! Nothing here was out of the extraordinary in South Africa.  The majority of this letter will be snippets from the entries in  y journal that I've written in the past week.


Tuesday, April 30th, 2016

I was robbed... again!  What an amazing experience it is to have your home card taken away.  No worries, I'm still in one piece.


Friday, June 3rd, 2016

You know it's going to be a rough day when your companion has to wake you up when you fall asleep while kneeling in prayer.  He said to me, "God doesn't understand your snoring."  Eish, what a way to start the day.

Afer we dropped off the other guys in their area, we went to see Sphiwe and Lerato, two of our investigators on date.  We taught the most epic lesson on the Law of Chastity.  We taught them the doctrines of the law of sexual purity.  In return, they taught it back to us in Zulu!  We both had a blast and a headache from that lesson!  They're on date to be baptized on July 3rd.

Our next appointment was with Peace, another investigator on date for Jun 12th.  When we arrived at his house, there was something off about him.  He was acting very distant and very awkward, a complete opposite to the fun-loving, chill guy that we know.  After a prayer and some persuading, he opened up to us and told us what the matter was.  He said, "I talked to Sister [blah blah] last week, and she told me that I need to get married after I'm baptized.  Do I really have to get married to a girl straight after baptism?  You know the girls around here..."

..... Are you serious?! It is not a requirement to be married after you are baptized!  Eish, miscommunication is a major pain to deal with on your mission, but is a story to laugh at when it's over.  We all had a good laugh about it, and we continued on with the lesson.

As promised, I drove the district to get some McD's.  After we had ordered our food, an young Indian man walked up to the car.  He introduced himself as Zach (funny coincidence, neh?) and that he had recently lost his job.  He had no money, had no interest in our money, but was very hungry.  He kindly and humbly asked us if we would give him some food.  We got our food, and I gave him my order.  After a million thanks and gratitude's, he walked off.  But just before he rounded the corner, I saw him pause and say a prayer of thanks.  He then opened his eyes, and raced around the corner of the restaurant.

Some may identify this as an award-winning act, which it might have been.  Regardless of whether it was or not, which I thought it was, an amazing feeling was in my chest as I drove towards our flat tonight.  This pressure that entered into my heart brought floods of emotion to my mind. ...Although Zach may not have been a close friend, that enormous feeling of love was pressing deeply into the fabrics of my heart as I saw that hapy man run around the corner of McDonalds.


What an amazing feeling to have when one forgets about themselves in the service of others and to their God (Mosiah 2:17).

Fiddler on the Roof (African style)


When in Midrand (AKA Diabetes)


No comments:

Post a Comment