Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Monday, May 23, 2016

Peace speaks with the Spirit

Man, one week left in the transfer!  It is so funny how quickly time flies when you're having fun.

One of the highlights this week was our zone activity.  What was it?  Scavenger hunt in the mall of Africa!  When Lehi saw a great and spacious building in the vision of the tree of life, he saw Mall of Africa.  The place is huge!  I forgot my camera cord at the flat, so pictures will come next week.

There's an investigator here who is truly blooming. A few months ago, while teaching two investigators about the Plan of Salvation, Peace walked in and joined in on the lesson.  He soon started with the missionary discussions, although our visits with him were scattered.  A few weeks ago, we felt that we need to reteach him the message of the Restoration.  We did so on Tuesday and we invited him to take Moroni's challenge in Moroni 10:3-5.  He agreed to do so, but he stated he already believed it to be true.  We congratulated him on his belief, but we stated that we wanted him to know it was true.  On Friday, we visited him again.  As we began to meet with him, we were really struggling to hear him through the sounds of stereo, TV, and children that were coming from all around his house.  If you can remember, my brain can't handle distractions very well.  My mind started to falter and it started to wander a bit.  But then I was moved to listen to him more intently.  With my focus redirected, I tuned in to what he was saying.  No sooner that I did so did he say this to us: "I read a bit of the Book of Mormon, like you asked me, and I prayed to God and asked if it was true."  As he spoke, the Spirit entered into the room with tremendous force.  Peace continued: "When I prayed, I just felt so good.  I know it's true."

This moment really defines what missionary work is all about.  I mean, I could tell you of being robbed, being attacked by guard dogs and African viruses, but the Spirit really is the key in this work.  I love being able to be a conduit of the Spirit, and it gives me such a spiritual high like never before.  With this miracle of conversion that I've had the privilege of witnessing, I've come to realize more fully and more completely something that i haven't really grasped before.  I've come to realize that the Lord's hand is truly in every aspect of our lives.  As President Dun put it so perfectly: "...What we don't realize is that Heavenly Father is there in [these spiritually] moments, but more importantly is there in the broader spectrum of our lives.  he's there in the days, in the weeks, and they years which lead up to [these] events, and we need the spiritual eyes and the sensitivities within our spirit to hear, listen, and understand.

May we all develop the eyes to see and the ears to hear the tender mercies of the Lord in not only our lives, but in the lives of those around us.  I can promise that as you seek to strengthen your ability to hear, listen, and understand the promptings of the Spirit, you'll come to find that,"there really is no such thing as coincidences in our lives, that God is indeed in the details of all of our lives, or can be, or wants to be, if we understand how to listen to him (Elder Neil A. Andersen)."

Mom, the Word of Wisdom is all about balance, I've come to find.  It's a guideline to allow the human body and the spirit which resides therein to be in balance.  Not only that, but that there can be balance in what we eat.  I've been eating too much grains, which is putting my butt and my belly out of balance, eish!

No comments:

Post a Comment