Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Elder Benson - South Africa Jo-Berg Mission

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Letter to President Dunn

Hey President!

Seeing that I'm about to head out to Rabie Ridge, I just wanted to thank you for allowing me to serve in Potch/Ikageng these past three transfers.  It's difficult to describe the experience, other than joyful.  It's been a roller coaster through it all; but looking back, I can only be grateful.

A highlight of this week was the exchange that took place on Saturday.  It was an incredible learning experience.  Elder Jorgensen went to Klerksdorp and Elder Zitumane came here.  We visited a member named Sister Bobbi.  She's truly a pioneer in Africa missionary work.  The Charchenko's have a lot of her history if you're interested.  She's been a dear friend of mine while being here in Potch.  We had an incredible visit with her that was filled with the Spirit.

Right afterwards, we went to Promosa, a township just out of Ikageng.  We were planning on visiting an investigator named Moses.  He was a powerful investigator with an extreme desire to know more about the gospel and the peace it brings.  We were going to put him on date!  However, when we arrived, we were met by his friend Njabulo, who is on date for March.  He told us that Moses has committed suicide the night before.  The news hit me pretty hard.  With the renewed faith I've come to find in the Plan of Salvation, I was at peace.  But nonetheless, I was still pretty shaken up.

Through it all, it was a big learning experience for me.  From my journal that night, I wrote this:
"The question is raised, 'How could a dear friend, who I had the privilege of teaching and blessing, who I helped spark a flame within, go from a man with hope for the future to committing himself to such a terrible end?'  To uplift and care so much for a soul in anguish is one of the most rewarding experiences one can have, for this is a glimpse into what Christ did and continues to do for all of us.  The charity that I felt for Moses was a divine gift from on high."

Through it all, I've come out on top.  I've found great strength in writing out my feelings in my journal.  I'm moving on from it all, ready to serve in Rabie Ridge and find new experiences there.


No comments:

Post a Comment